Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Friday, February 1, 2019

Flying to Hong Kong

My flight to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacifoc left on time. 1:10 pm on the 30th.  Total airtime was something like 13 hours, but who’s counting?   I was in economy at the back of the plane, my preferred location.   Equipment was a Boeing 777-300, with 3-4-3 seating. I was in the middle section, on the aisle  - 64D - so I could get up and roam. The flight was not full, and the seat next to me was empty, so I was not crowded.  They treat the steerage passengers pretty well on Cathay Pacific.  Two hot meals and I got free wine with meals.  The food was, well, airline food, but it was heads and shoulders above what you get on United.


I was surprised most of the flight was over land. We headed up to Alaska, over the Aleutian Islands and south over Russia, a corner of Mongolia and China, finally on to an on-time arrival at Hong Kong International at 6:30 PM on the 31st.  There’s that pesky International Date Line at work again.










No comments: