Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Oh Canada! Day 1 - Aug 4 - Walla Walla to Clarkston

On the road at 12:10 pm after having gone into the office to take care of some last minute items. This ride will be a test of a new packing system using a Cabelas Boundary Waters Dry Bag. It's large enough to hold my sleeping bag, pad, pillow and miscellaneous clothing items, as well as my Asus Netbook that I'm composing this on. The bike was packed by noon and I said my goodbyes to Lynne and Erika and was off by 12:10.

Wheat harvest is late this year by at least two weeks. It was an incredibly wet and cool spring. What this meant for me is lots of wheat trucks, some tandem, on the road between Walla Walla and east of Dayton. Nothing major to contend with, and luckily I didn't get stuck behind any along the way.

Took a quick stop in Dayton to check my packing job - still secure - and to take a photo of the beautiful Columbia County Courthouse. Then on to Pomeroy, where I took another short break for a photo op in front of the Garfield County Courthouse. Then on to Dave Denham's place in Clarkston. We had dinner at the Searle's and then to bed early. We plan to be on the road by 8:00 am, with an ultimate destination somewhere along the east shore of Kootenay Lake.




Day One Route:

View Larger Map

No comments: