Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Friday, July 6, 2007

Day 1 - Walla Walla to Missoula - 349 Miles

After the usual late start (I aimed for for 10:00 am, and we actually rolled out of town at 11:50 am after dropping the little dog off at the Vet for boarding) we hit the road. I would have preferred a route that took us up to Colfax, then across to Idaho 95 and North to Coeur d'Alene to pick up I-90, but Erika has a problem with carsickness. The scenic route has a lot of twists and turns so we opted for the less scenic route to Tri-Cities, up 395 through the Scablands to Ritzville, then East on I-90 through Spokane and into Idaho. We dosed Erika with Dramamine and gave her a Seaband motion sickness wrist band. After sleeping the first hour she woke up and was car-sick-free the entire trip to Missoula. Now if we could get her a car-boredom preventative we’ll be all set.

It was ungodly hot yesterday. The weather service says it hit 109 at home. It was 101 when we finally got to Missoula around 7:00 our time (8:00 MST). I booked us the first night in, GASP, the Missoula KOA. My first ever KOA experience. My mother, who introduced me to camping in State Parks and National Forests would shudder at the thought. Aside from the campground being located right in town (behind a TJ Maxx clothing store), near the Target Store and and near the freeway, I was pleasantly surprised. There is a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, and I plan to stop there on the way out of town to rid myself of some excess cash. The campsites at the KOA are side by each and quite close together, but well shaded. There is a pool, which is the primary reason I booked here. Erika had a good time swimming last night and I enjoyed cooling off in the pool. Lynne took a pass on pass on swimming and worked on the site. An added benefit of private campground camping these days is wireless internet.

Today we head out for Big Timber, midway between Bozeman and Billings. There is no pool there, but they have a trout pond, and we have a campsite reserved on the Boulder River. The campground has a trout pond, but I doubt the fish will be biting much this afternoon, as the temps are predicted to be 102. Prairie Dog Town State Park is in Greycliff East of town, and Erika ought to get a kick out of seeing the dog colony.

The Palouse Caboose Is working out well. It towed well with no sway, and we held our speed right around 65 mph. The inside of the Caboose was quite hot when we stopped, but fans cleared the heat out well and once the sun went down, it cooled off nicely.

Air conditioning would be nice, but I didn’t feel that we suffered at all last night.



The route thus far.

2 comments:

Oral Roberts said...

Looks like the test trips to work the bugs out worked and you are cruising and on your way. Keep the updates coming and pictures when you can.

The McCurdy Family said...

Don't worry about the KOA thing......I spent one whole week at one a few yrs back with a couple of friends. They are the ones that booked it and I was invited to go, so did. Wouldn't personally choose to do that myself, but with kids, it IS kind of a nice place to stay.

Glad to hear the Caboose is chugging (lol) right along. And as for a new tow rig......avoid the diesel if you can. We had one once and the smell from the fuel was almost unbearable. I don't think Lynn would like it at all.

Keep up the good work. The blog looks great, and it's really nice to be able to click on your links and look at the places you stay.

M