Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Buffalo, WY – The Electronics Disaster -- July 8, 2007

The morning of July 8, I concluded it was a good time to start breakfast. I opened the lid of the new Coleman propane stove and attached one of the sides that act as a windblock. I diverted my attention for a moment, and the lid came loose. In a regular Rube Goldberg moment, the lid fell back, struck the Senseo coffee maker (which has a 4 cup water reservoir). The Senseo tipped and fell on my laptop, which I had foolishly left open and running on the picnic table. At least a cup of water flowed onto the keyboard. Of course, the computer shut down. I held it upside down and emptied as much liquid as I could. Then I dried it off as best I could and took out the battery.

Later that day after we arrived in Hill City, SD (Sunday) the laptop would not boot.

Yesterday (Monday) the laptop would not boot.

This morning (Tuesday) IT BOOTED!!! All appears to work, except certain keys, notably the “T,” several numerals and, most importantly, the backspace key. So… I am typing this on Lynne’s computer for later posting to the Blog.

Disaster averted (for the most part).

No comments: