Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Off to DC

September 13, 2018.  - Several weeks ago, I heard from my friend Bob Kern that our boss at DOJ Tax Division was retiring after 52 years.  A retirement party was planned for 9/14 at Main Justice. I got on the list so I’d be allowed into the inner sanctum of the RFK Building, a/k/a Main Justice in our day (1984 - 1989).  2:00 am on the 13th found me wide awake and unable to sleep.  I left the house for Pasco at 4:00 am and got to the airport in plenty of time for the 6:00 am flight and to Salt Lake City.  At SLC I transferred to another Delta flight to BWI, set to arrive at 3:40 local time. We beat that by a few minutes. It was HUMID!!! I’ve been spoiled by living in the West.

Took a shuttle to the MARC train and a 30 minute ride into Union Station in DC. From there to Arlington to the MarriottCrystal Gateway, where I met up with Bob and Kay Kern (from Vermillion, OH), and Todd Luoma (Sacramento) as well as Dan Houlf (Detroit).  We all headed for dinner at McCormick & Schmicks where we met Deb Stefanik and Jerry Brost (Peoria).




We all had a great visit over dinner and drinks, with much reminiscing about the old days and starting our legal careers 34 or so years ago, working under Patrick at CTS Northern.

No comments: