Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Day 3 - Saturday - First Day in Auckland

I mentioned previously that after narrowly avoiding being sanctioned by the biosecurity police for having in my possession an undeclared Payday bar, we took an Uber to our first night's lodging in the Papatoetoe section of Auckland, about 10 kilometers from the airport.  There's something comforting about traveling halfway around the world and being able to pull out one's cell phone, fire up the Uber App just like at home (well, not quite at home, Walla Walla only has one Uber driver, and I've never met him, or her) and in 10 minutes time the driver pulls up and you''re on your way.  Only this time, the driver is on the right side of the car and we are driving in what back home would euphemistically be called the passing, or maybe head on, lane.

At any rate, I'd reserved an Airbnb relatively close to the airport.  I'd previously reserved a motel, but at $185 NZD, the price in USD was more comparable to a stay at the Best Western (about $125).  I spent some time on Airbnb and found Club Kapako, a residence as mentioned before in the Papatoetoe district.  The cost, at $67 NZD (about $47 USD) was much more reasonable.  I canceled the motel.

At any rate, when I realized we'd be quite late arriving in Auckland, I'd sent the host, Jenny, a message so advising.  She replied saying she and husband Luke would likely be in bed by the time we arrived and she'd leave a key under a rock in the pot of the Money Tree to the left of the door.  With the assistance of an iPhone and Google Maps, our Uber driver found the place, 10 Kakapo Place, Auckland, NZ.  The light was on.  There was a van and a car in the driveway and a boat under cover.  I wanted to be sure it was the correct place and approached quietly.  There was a "Money Tree" (what I'd call a Jade plant) to the left of the door.  And there were about 50 rocks in the pot.  I turned over some of the bigger ones to no avail.  No key.  So we dialed Jenny up on the Uber driver's phone, awoke her from a sound sleep and she came and let us in and retrieved the key from under what must have been the one rock I didn't look under.

Sleep couldn't come too soon.

In the morning I was up at 6:00 am, went downstairs and made some coffee and read the Bryson book I'd mentioned before.

The house was very nice, with a jasmine vine outside the bedroom window, a pool in the back yard, eucalyptus trees in the yard next door, and more birds singing than I've heard in a long, long time.  Anyone thinking about coming to Auckland, I'd highly recommend Jenny and Luke's place, Club Kakapo.  Which, calls for photos:




The sign over the toilet was amusing:



In the morning, Luke was up and out at 6:00 am to go fishing and to a bachelor party for a friend who was getting married.  We never met  him but I'm sure he is a fine fellow, since he rides motorcycles and has a well appointed shop in the garage.  We'd decided to rent a car (good choice, more about that later), and Jenny generously agreed to drop us at the rental place in the Penrose District, about 5 or so Kilometers away.  Before leaving she posed for a selfie with Barb and me:


1 comment:

The McCurdy Family said...

Lovely place................I'd be in that pool one way or another.

M