Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Friday, December 15, 2017

Day 15-16 - Thursday and Friday - The Tasman Sea

Overnight the seas became somewhat rough. Nothing overly concerning, but you could feel the motion of the boat through the water.  There would be the occasional vibration or shudder as the ship pounded through what appeared to me to be 6' swells. The cabin is on the main deck, down low, about 20' off the water, and fairly close to the stern. As a result, the motion of the ship is not as noticeable as it would be, say, on the 8th deck near the bow.  I think the motion of the ship helped me sleep, as I slept quite well. 

Thursday dawned overcast and windy. And cold.  The temperature must have been somewhere. In the 50s.  Not much to say about the day. It was a lazy day spent reading (I'm reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country," which details his trip through Australia in the 1990s). 

As the day progressed, the wind increased as did the swells.  We took 10 brisk laps around Deck 3, an outside deck around the perimeter of the ship.  I understand 3 laps equals one mile, so we did about 3 1/3 miles.  


As night approached, the seas increased to 10'.  You could really feel the motion of the boat.  It didn't bother me, but I did notice Friday morning when I went up for coffee that the ship staff had put out what appear to be seasickness bags in the elevator lobbies.  

No comments: