Where in the World is Smithee?



Where in the World is Smithee???

Monday, February 6, 2017

Motorcycles

A friend once said motorcycles are like shoes. You wouldn't wear a pair of Nike Cross Trainers to a ballroom dance, nor would you wear Cole Hahn wing tips on a 10k run. Motorcycles are the same.  There are Cruisers, Dual Sport bikes, Bobbers, Dirt Bikes, Trials Bikes, Motocross Bikes, Touring Bikes, and yet more.  Each with its own function and purpose.  So what are, or were, my motorcycles?   There have been a few.  Let's start with what I own at the moment.  Listed in order of when acquired.  By the way, I'm not in the habit of naming my bikes, though I've named a few. Suggestions welcome.

2011 BMW R1200RT

One day in 2015 I happened to wander into Tom's Cycle in Walla Walla.  There on the floor was a beautiful 2011 BMW R1200RT.  Corey offered to trade me straight across for the 2010 black Harley Ultra Classic I was riding (that I had never clicked with).  After a few weeks and some negotiating, I did the deal.  It wasn't quite straight across, as the Harley needed a new tire, but in the end, I was free of the Ultra and the BMW was mine.  That summer, I rode it to Sturgis.  It was probably one of 6 BMWs there among a sea of Harleys.  What a great ride that was.  It's now my favorite motorcycle.  Had the seat redone by Seth Laam last year and added some Denali LED running lights.  What a great motorcycle.


At Kelsey's in Spokane, headed to the BeeCee Beemer's
Hot Springs Rally, Nakusp, BC, August 2016. 


On the way to the Grand Tetons, WY,
August, 2015




2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

I've been hanging out with Victory enthusiasts since 2007, since I became acquainted with David Beede and started going to the Starkey campouts. I bought my first Vic, a 2008 Vision, in 2011.  I bought the 2012 XC in March, 2016 from a guy in Canby, OR. Found on Craigslist.  The seller was a small dealer who is retired and buys and sells bikes, snowmobiles and maybe quads for fun. His shop was so clean you could eat off the floor.  When I test rode the bike, Kim and the guy chatted about drag racing, a common interest. Although it's a Cross Country Tour, the seller cannibalized the bike.  The trunk had been removed and sold.  I later found out that the HID headlight had been removed and replaced with a standard H7 bulb.  Oh well, with what I paid, it was still a good deal.


Canby, the Day of Purchase



Mt. Idaho Grade, outside Grangeville, ID

2007 Kawasaki KLR - 1st Gen.

One day in September, 2016, I stopped by Thunder Alley, the Tri-Cities Victory-Indian-Slingshot dealer.  As it happened, they had a 2007 Kawasaki KLR on the floor for a good price.  It had a lot of aftermarket farkles - skid plate, enhanced suspension, fork brace, etc.  I'd been looking for a dual sport for a while and this one fit the bill at a mere $2,500.  Sold!!!  I added a DeWalt topbox and Komy 1600 Lumen LED driving lights.  Took her to Moab in May, 2017, with Ed Bloom and Dave Denham, where we rode some pretty gnarly slickrock roads.




No comments: